David Bowie’s swansong Blackstar was the best album of 2016 – well at least as far of the world’s biggest music magazines were concerned.
Every year the website albumoftheyear.org collates the best albums of the year lists from publications (NME, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Uncut, Mojo etc) around the world and comes up with what is the closest you will probably get to the definitive list of the year’s best records.
Blackstar scored an aggregate 269 points, with the album being named album of the year in nine publications, and runner-up in a further six. Beyoncé’s Lemonade was in second place with 257 points, while Frank Ocean’s Blonde took out the third spot with 203.
The full top 10 was:
- David Bowie, Blackstar
- Beyoncé, Lemonade
- Frank Ocean, Blonde
- Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool
- Solange, A Seat at the Table
- Chance The Rapper, Coloring Book
- Angel Olsen, My Woman
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Skeleton Tree
- Kanye West, The Life of Pablo
- A Tribe Called Quest, We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service